Grant Gustafson at math.utah.edu
2280 8:35am Spring 2009
Updated: Monday May 18: 18:11PM, 2009
Today: Monday February 18: 14:03PM, 2019
Intro Differential Equations 2280 S2009
Web records now available, 9am on 15 May 2009. Send email if you
find an error that affects your final letter grade or rank in class.
Click here for web records S2009, Draft 2, 18May2009, 6pm
Click here for web records S2009, Draft 1, 14May2009, 8am
Exams outside the door 113jwb on 12 May.
Final exam solutions key, S2009. Top score solutions by Sara S., David D., Simon W.
Sample Final Exam [20 problems] is ready to download 30 April.
Revised with answers and solutions on 2 May. Please advise of any errors found, and
the correction will be posted here. Bart, Josh, Kelli, Dan, Chelsie and
Jennifer discovered a wrong answer for problems 7 and 18a. The pdf below has been corrected.
Sample final exam problems, S2009.
Sample Midterm 3 is ready to download Saturday 18 April.
Sample midterm 3, S2009.
Solutions to pass one of exam 3 on 22 April are available here:
Exam 3 answers, 22 April 2009, Version 1
Wood, Harris and Young discovered a wrong answer in (4b), correct answer is
2280 Due Dates, Maple Projects and Extra Credit
- 2280 [8:35am] due dates for submitted work
Due dates updated daily
- 2280 maple labs and maple extra credit.
- 2280 Extra Credit. Cancel zeros and fifty-fives!
More maple extra credit appears in certain chapters.
Extra credit problems
2280 Syllabus and Dailies Spring 2009
- Gustafson's 2280 course syllabus Spring 2009
pdf postscript syllabus (90k
Differential Equations, Edwards-Penney 4/E 2008
Print locally or use Adobe AcroRead [acrobat reader]
- Gustafson's 2280 gradesheet Spring 2009
A form for keeping your own records
( 98K pdf)
- 2280 format suggestions for reports
How to improve your written work. Writing reports.
( 25K pdf)
- How to do maple graphics using a modem or dsl
Low speed internet and maple graphics
2280 Slides and Documents
- Slides projected in class from the notebook computer are duplicated
on the web here:
Directory from classroom notebook computer
- Slides, scans and manuscripts from 2250, historical links from 2006
2280 Midterm and Final Exams
for all S2009 exam materials, including samples, old exam keys with
solutions, keys to this semester's exams, and related study guides for
Maple Tutorials and Maplesoft offer
- Maplesoft Quick Reference Cards
- Douglas Meade's Quick Reference Card for Maple 12
- A rookie maple tutorial for the impatient from Indiana University
- Angie Gardiner tutorial source. Save to local disk and launch it in maple.
Save file (.mws) [usually right click]
- Details for maple 12 under unix, windows, OS/X
How to use maple 12 (2k text)
- Offer from Waterloo Maple to buy a copy of maple 12 for your OS/X, Linux or MS-Windows home computer or laptop [$50.00].
Maple 12 Offer S2009 Click here
2280 Problem Notes and Frequently Asked Questions
- Presently, there are none, but the companion book Differential
Equations and Linear Algebra by Edwards-Penney is used for math
2250, and there are numerous notes on those problems. Beware: the
chapters correspond, but have a different order, e.g., Laplace is
earlier in our textbook. Also, some extra chapters appear in our
text, and they will not have 2250 problem notes.
- If I get time to sort this out, then I will, and make available
problem notes keyed to our textbook.
- 2250 Problem Notes. Extra info on dailies.
Problem notes and FAQ
2280 Solved Homework Problems, Group Effort
- Lund, 1.1-8 (pdf)
- Isono, 1.1-12 (pdf)
- Lund, 1.1-35 (pdf)
Schlub, 1.1-35 (pdf)
- Adeel, 1.1-39 (pdf)
- Anatoly Zharkikh, 1.3-33 (pdf)
- Lund, 2.1-7 (pdf)
- Stefanishis, 4.2-34 (pdf)
- Stefanishis, 4.3-10 (pdf)
- Stefanishis, 5.2-36 (pdf)
- Stefanishis, 5.3-19 (pdf)
FLASH Animations of applications
The physics animations in the link below [85 animations] were written by David M.
Harrison, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Toronto. They are Copyright 2002 -
2006 David M. Harrison.
Harrison's physics animations
The areas covered in the 85 animations appear below. A high
percentage of them touch the subject matter of this course.
- Classical Mechanics
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Micrometer Caliper
- Quantum Mechanics
- Sound Waves
Grant B. Gustafson
155 South 1400 East Rm113
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090
Office phone: (801) 581-6879 (ans machine after 2 rings).
Link to Department of Mathematics, University of Utah