Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions


What type of degree must I have to apply for graduate studies in the mathematics program? 
You must have a bachelor's degree to apply for graduate study and the bachelor's degree must be posted on your transcripts before you begin graduate studies. A master's degree is not required to apply for the doctoral (Ph.D.) program.

What if there is no "bachelor's degree" in my country? I have just finished four years of undergraduate study in my country. Is this acceptable for admission to the mathematics program?
You must have a recognized undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college or university to be admitted to our graduate program. If you have attended an unusual undergraduate program and wish to be admitted to a graduate program at the University of Utah, you must get  permission from the Graduate School.
What financial aid is available for mathematics graduate programs?
All applicants admitted to the PhD program are offered a teaching assistantship. In exchange for teaching, TAs are provided a stipend, tuition waiver, and health insurance. The current stipend is about $25,000 per academic year. Additional financial support may be offered in the summer months but is determined on an annual basis.
Guaranteed financial aid is not available for Masters students. In some semesters we are able to provide teaching assistantships to Masters students, but such assistantships are only determined on a semester by semester basis.

When should I apply if I intend to apply for financial aid?
The deadline to apply for full consideration (for admission and financial assistance) is January 1 each year. We will consider late application forms through March 15th if positions are available. So, if you plan on applying for financial aid, submit your application to the Mathematics Department before the January 1st deadline to be sure to be considered.

What is the personal statement?
The personal statement is a brief description of your interest in mathematics. We are more interested in concrete descriptions of your background, specifically the courses you have taken and any research experiences you may have had. We also like to see what you are currently thinking of pursuing professionally after the completion of the degree (we are open to all possibilities). Please also describe your research interests. It is very helpful if you include the specific research groups that you may wish to join, and which faculty members you would consider as potential advisors.

Is the GRE score required for admission to the mathematics graduate program? What is the code?
While GRE general and mathematics subject test scores are not required for graduate admission application, we understand that some applicants may prefer to have test scores to be included in the evaluation. In this case you may submit the test scores, especially the mathematics subject test score if you are interested in pure mathematics areas, and we will take them into consideration. On the other hand, the omission of GRE test scores will not adversely impact your application. Students interested in MS Mathematics (Teaching) should supply Praxis exam scores. See Master of Mathematics (Teaching). The University of Utah ETS code is 4853. 

Can I do the graduate program in mathematics through home study or through on-line courses?
No. All course work must be taken in person on the University of Utah campus.

Do I have to take the TOEFL exam?
Yes. All international students are required to take the TOEFL and have their scores sent to the University of Utah International Admissions Office by ETS. The minimum required scores are: 80 (iBT), or 550 (pBT). The test must not be over two years old at the time of admission. Also, the University of Utah will accept the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores or Duolingo scores in places of the TOEFL. Students must have a score of 6.5 or above on this exam. More information can be found on the University's English Proficiency website.

Can the application fee be waived?
A small number of fee waivers are available for applications to the PhD program, especially for applicants interested in joining one of our NSF sponsored Research Training Groups. Preference is given to US citizens and permanent residents, and occasionally to students currently studying in the United States on F-1 or J-1 visas. Fee waivers for international students cannot be granted. To apply for a fee waiver please send an e-mail to Ms. Paula Tooman at with the subject line Application Fee Waiver.

When will I be notified of my admission to the mathematics program?
You will be notified in writing as soon as a decision has been made on your application. You should expect to hear from us at the latest by the end of April.
Last Updated: 8/31/23