Engineering Math Spring 2009
2250 7:30am and 10:45am Spring 2009
Updated: Monday May 18: 17:54PM, 2009
Today: Friday November 24: 20:44PM, 2017
Records are available with rank in class and lowest possible letter
grade. Please check the computations and report any errors in exam
scores. Please DO NOT report errors in dailies, unless it would change
your final letter grade.
Records for 2250-1 and 2250-2, S2009, Draft 3, 18May2009-5:53pm
Records for 2250-1 and 2250-2, S2009, Draft 2, 17May2009-12:09pm
Records for 2250-1 and 2250-2, S2009, Draft 1, 16May2009-4:54pm
Final exam keys.
Answer Key for Final Exam, S2009, 7:30am section
Answer Key for the Final Exam, S2009, 10:45am section
Additional solved sample exam problems from the 2280 course. These
problems were discussed May 1, in the review session in 140 JTB,
attended by more than 15 students from 2250.
Sample final exam problems, S2009.
All exam papers and dailies are now outside 113 JWB. Exception: those papers still ungraded.
Exam 3 problems 3,4 returned Wed 29 April.
Exam 3 problems 1,2 returned Tue 28 April.
Exam 3 problem 5 returned Mon 27 April.
Stress reduction: most due dates moved to Thursday of Final Week. See the due dates page.
Study guide for the final exam ready. It was emailed to 2250-1, 2250-2 students
on 26 April.
Final exam study guide Spring 2009 [revised 24 Apr]
Dynamical systems slides added 26 April. See the reading list.
2250 Due Dates, Problem Notes, Reading, Maple Projects and Extra Credit
- Updated due dates
2250 Changes in due dates for submitted work
- Problem notes and FAQ
2250 Problem Notes. Extra info on dailies.
- Reading (2k text)
2250 Reading Schedule and Topics
- Reading schedule with links to slides and manuscripts (php)
2250 Reading Schedule with Links
- Maple Projects
2250 maple labs and maple extra credit.
- Extra credit problems
2250 Extra Credit. Cancel zeros and fifty-fives!
More maple extra credit appears in certain chapters.
2250 Lecture Notes, Slides and References
- Web log click here
2250 What happened in class? Web log of slides, lecture
material and references.
- Notebook Computer click here
Notebook computer lecture slides and documents [current]
- Historical References. Manuscripts Click here.
Slides Click here.
Appearing here are historical links to classroom pdf manuscripts,
slides, textbook problem solutions, examples, solution outlines and
See the preceding link for current slides and manuscripts.
2250 Midterm and Final Exams
for all S2009 exam materials, including samples, old exam keys with
solutions, keys to this semester's exams, and related study guides for
2250 Syllabus, Gradesheet, Reports
- Gustafson's 2250 gradesheet and problem list S2009.
( 47K pdf)
- Gustafson's 2250 syllabus S2009.
- 2250 format suggestions for reports
How to improve your written work. Writing reports.
( 25K pdf)
- How to do maple graphics using a modem or dsl
Low speed internet and maple graphics
Maple Tutorials and Maplesoft offer
- Maplesoft Quick Reference Cards
- Douglas Meade's Quick Reference Card for Maple 12
- A rookie maple tutorial for the impatient from Indiana University
- Angie Gardiner tutorial source. Save to local disk and launch it in maple.
Save file (.mws) [usually right click]
- Details for maple 12 under unix, windows, OS/X
How to use maple 12 (2k text)
- Offer from Waterloo Maple to buy a copy of maple 12 for your OS/X, Linux or MS-Windows home computer or laptop [$50.00].
Maple 12 Offer S2009 Click here
OLD Engineering Math Local Documents 1998-2008
- Link to Spring 2008 Eng Math documents
- Link to Fall 2007 Eng Math documents
- Link to Spring 2007 Eng Math documents
- Link to Fall 2006 Eng Math documents
- Link to Spring 2006 Eng Math documents
- Link to Fall 2005 Eng Math documents
- Link to Spring 2005 Eng Math documents
- Link to Fall 2004 Eng Math documents
- Link to Spring 2004 Eng Math documents
- Link to Fall 2003 Eng Math documents
- Link to 1995 to Spring 2003 Eng Math documents
FLASH Animations of applications
The 85 physics animations in the link below are Copyright 2002 David M.
Harrison, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Toronto.
Harrison's physics animations
A high percentage of the areas covered in the 85 animations touch
the subject matter of this course:
Electricity and Magnetism,
The physics animations in the link below are Copyright 2002 Dan Russell,
Dept. of Physics, Kettering Univ. See in particular the movies and animations
for harmonic motion, forced oscillations and resonance.
Dan Russell's physics animations
* Simple Harmonic Oscillator - with and without damping, transfer of energy between kinetic and potential forms
* Damped Harmonic Oscillator - underdamped, overdamped, and critically damped
* Forced Harmonic Oscillator - transient and steady state response to a force applied to the mass
* The Simple Pendulum - comparing the linear approximation (small angle) with a real pendulum
* Coupled Oscillators - energy transfer between two mass-spring systems coupled together
* Dynamic Absorbers - J.P. Den Hartog's classical undamped tuned dynamic absorber
* Tacoma Narrows Bridge - (0.668 MB mpeg movie) - when engineers don't account for resonance when designing structures
Grant B. Gustafson
155 South 1400 East Room 233
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090
Office phone: (801) 581-6879
For email address, see class notes or
for the doorcard.
Link to Department of Mathematics, University of Utah