Grant Gustafson at math.utah.edu
Local Host Computer-Related Documents
- Gustafson's Emacs Mini-manual
DVI ( 37K ) |
LaTeX ( 24K ) |
ASCII ( 21K )
to page of old 1995-2003
information about MS-Windows 95/98, XP and Linux.
X-Server for MS-windows
- Cygwin home page, free software
The best free X-windows software solution for MS-Windows is XFree86
in the cygwin distribution. Using XFree86 and secure telnet (SSH), it is
possible to log into your univ account and launch X-window applications
that display on your local MS-windows computer, e.g., xmaple and matlab.
This solution assumes a fast 1.5mb connection. If you want a 500mb
installation CD (unzip to your hard disk), then send email.
After a cygwin installation, turn off enough XP or Vista
security to make it work. Installation requires "rebaseall" which is
a part of the cygwin "rebase" package. Generally, "chmod -R
u=rwx,g=rw,o=r" is needed to prepare the cygwin tree for use. A basic
install needs to execute a batch file for the cygwin "mount" command
in order to write info to the Registry. Directory HOME must also be
set as a MS environment variable. Search the web for instructions.
- OS-X already has a unix interface and X-windows is part of the
operating system (2007).
- Microsoft Vista Ultimate (but not Basic or Premium) has a unix
interface and X-windows is part of the operating system (2007). If you
don't have it, then install the cygwin package above.
- MiX 95 X-Server and fonts 1997 Zip (2.72MB)
Works with insecure telnet to link to university computers running
X-windows applications. Due to secure telnet connections across campus, this
software is no longer useful to make university connections.
- MiX 2.0 X-Server 2000 Trial Version Zip (2.70MB)
An updated version, but it costs money.
Local Host Mini-Courses On Computer Topics
- Alfeld's Unix Crash Course. PS (582k)
Carlson-Johnson Maple QuickTour. PS (128k)
Carlson-Johnson Maple briefGuide. PS (245k)
Development Files (Linux, DOS, Win)
- Linux 1.2.13 Dired 304 ZIP Oct 7 1996 (127k)
- Linux 1.2.13 Dired 305 ZIP 5 Jan 1997 (139k)
- Linux 2.4.18 Dired 306 ZIP 23 Jan 2003 (160k)
Includes cygwin dired.exe for MS-win98/2000/ME/xp.
- Dired 307 ZIP October 2006 (140k)
Includes Linux, Solaris, cygwin dired.exe for MS-win98/2000/ME/xp/vista.
- Linux 1.2.8 jgraph ZIP Sept 20 1996 (180k)
- xPCmouse 1.2 TSR for DOS/DOSEMU (66k)
- xPCmouse 1.3 TSR for DOS/DOSEMU (75k)
- xPCmouse 1.4 TSR for DOS/DOSEMU (75k)
- toclip 1.0 DOS/WIN clipboard tool Sept 1998 (21k)
- PI ver 50 10-June-2000 Linux/DOS (630k)
- PI 11-Jan-2003 Linux/Solaris/MS-win98/me/xp (670k)
- PI ver 51 13-Dec-2004 Linux/Solaris/MS-win98/me/xp (1.1mb)
- PI ver 52 10-Sep-2006 Linux/Solaris/MS-win98/me/xp (1.2mb)
- PI ver 52 13-Sep-2006 macOSX development (400kb)
- PI ver 53 15-Sep-2006
Tuesday, 26-Sep-2006 15:00:04 MDT)
- PI ver 53 17-Jan-2010
Sunday, 17-Jan-2010 15:24:00 MST)
Grant B. Gustafson
155 South 1400 East Rm113
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090
Office phone: (801) 581-6879.
Link to Department of Mathematics, University of Utah