pre-REU 2022: (almost) everything you can do to an interval.
- May 30 (Monday) - June 24 (Friday), 2022
- 9:30am - 3:00pm Mountain Time on weekdays.
- The University of Utah campus, exact room TBA
- The program will accept ten University of Utah students who are enrolled in or considering a math major. Students from histroically marginalized groups in mathematics are particularly encouraged to apply!
- The program content is targeted at students finishing their first or second year at the U who have completed at least Calculus II (or equivalent) and have not yet completed a foundations of analysis course.
- The mathematics in the program will incorporate fundamental notions in analysis and linear algebra by introducing them through natural examples in dynamical systems.
- No programming experience is required.
- You will explore first examples of dynamical systems on an interval, which naturally introduce other notions such as Cantor sets, linear algebra and Diophantine approximations.
- You will work closely with other students and program staff while solving interesting problems.
- You will develop skills, knowledge, and confidence for future success in mathematics in an inclusive, supportive, and enthusiastic environment.
- Participants will be PAID a $2,000 stipend for their participation.
Funded by the National Science Foundation, award no. 1840190
- Please write to Kurt Vinhage at email@example.com