Student Integration Bee
Intermountain Section Meeting
Saturday, March 24
Each school may bring 3-4 undergraduate contestants who will compete individually for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes!
Please encourage your students to participate!
Official Rules for the 2007 Integration Bee Competition:
1. Participants must correctly solve indefinite single variable integrals in the time allotted. Techniques include:
· Integrals or powers and trig functions
· Integration by parts
· Partial fraction decomposition
· Trig substitutions
· Integrals of powers of trig functions
· Integrals of hyperbolic functions
· Completing the square
· Elimination of radicals by substitution
2. Participants will take turns at the board. The first participant will have 2 minutes to evaluate an integral. If this is not done correctly, the second participant will have 1 minute on the same integral. If he fails, the third will have 30 seconds on this integral. If all three fail then a new integral will be given to the fourth contestant and the sequence repeats. If the integral is evaluated correctly, the next participant gets a new integral and 2 minutes.
3. The 1st round is expected to be double elimination. If there are a large number of contestants, the 1st round will be single elimination.
4. Those remaining after the 1st round will participate head to head in a “lightning round”. Students in the round will work on a problem for 2 minutes. Anyone not producing a correct response will be eliminated. If everyone is eliminated in a round, a new problem will be given.
5. Timers and judges will be chosen from among faculty and graduate students in the section.
For information contact:
Ann Marie Harris firstname.lastname@example.org
Please let me know how many students are participating so that we can be prepared.
(Student registration fees cover the cost to participate.)
March 23-24, 2007, Salt Lake City, Utah