||Ordinary Differential Equations
|| MATH 6410 - 1
|Place & Time:
|| M, W, F, 2:00 - 2:50 in LCB 215
||10:40-11:30 M, W, F, in JWB 224 (tent.)
||Jane Cronin, Ordinary Differential Equations: Introduction and Qualitative Theory, 3rd. ed., CRC Press, 2008.
Much of the material is standard and widely available. Therefore, students will be able to get by without owning the text. I'll provide references and put copies in the math library. We shall basically start by following
the text. I will also cover additional topics that were suggested in consultation with Professors Adler, Dobson and Keener.
Come to class for details and references. Here is a partial list of alternative sources that cover the material.
- James Hetao Liu, A First Course in the Qualitative Theory of Differntial Equations, Prentice Hall 2003.
- Christopher Grant, Theory of Ordinary Differential Equations(chapter index), pdf(158 pages), on-line lecture notes with Solutions.
- Klaus Schmitt and Russell Thompson, Nolinear Analysis and Differential Equations: An Introduction, University of Utah Lecture Notes 2009.pdf.(152 pages.)
- Lawrence Perko, Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems, Springer Texts in
Applied Mathematics 7, 1991.
- Wolfgang Walter, Ordinary Differential Equations, Springer Graduate Texts in Mathematics 182, 1991.
- Carmen Chicone, Differential Equations with Applications, Springer Texts in
Applied Mathematics 34, 1999.
- Fritz John, Ordinary Differential Equations, Courant Institute of Mathematics Lecture Notes, 1965.
- Stephen Salaff and Shing-Tung Yau, Ordinary Differential Equations, 2nd ed., International Press, 1998.
- Herbert Amann, Ordinary Differential Equations--An Introduction to Nonlinear Analysis, Walter de Gruyter, 1990.
- M. Hirsch, S. Smale & R. Devaney, Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems & an Introduction to Chaos 2nd. ed., Elsevier, 2004.
- D. W. Jordan and P. Smith, Nonlinear Ordinary Differential Equations-- An Introduction for Scientists and Engineers, 4th ed., Oxford, 2007.
- David Betounes, Differential Equations: Theory and Applications, 2nd. ed., Springer 2010.
- Earl A. Coddington and Norman Levinson, Theory of Ordinary Differential Equations, Krieger Publishing Company, 1984; reprint of McGraw Hill, 1955.
- Philip Hartman, Ordinary Differential Equations, 2nd ed., SIAM 2002; reprint of Birkhaüser, 1982; re-reprint of John Wiley & Sons, 1964.
- Gerald Teschl, Ordinary Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems, (pdf, 303 pages) on-line book, Universität Wien, 2010.
Last updated: 9 - 22 - 10