To apply, complete the general application (link below). Once you complete the General Application you will see a list of scholarship opportunities.
The application deadline is March 9, 2018
Scholarship winners will be notified in early April.
The Mathematics Department Scholarships are:
- $5,000 Tuition Waiver. Available to Mathematics majors who are Utah residents who wll be full-time students. Requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5. Students seeking a second Bachelor's are not eligible to receive this scholarship. Students who already hold a tuition waiver scholarship from the University of Utah are also not eligible for this award.
- Susan C. Christiansen Memorial Scholarship. Awarded to an outstanding student in the Department of Mathematics.
- C. Bryant and Clara C. Copley Scholarship. Provides at least one award to a junior or senior majoring in Mathematics who has demonstrated financial need.
- The Golden Scholarship. Awarded to a student majoring in Mathematics or Applied Mathematics, with a preference for those pursuing a double major or a major and a minor, with demonstrated financial need. Open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents. The Golden Scholarship will be applied directly to tuition or to on-campus housing.
- Junius John Hayes Diversity Scholarship. Awarded to a female, minority student in the Department of Mathematics with demonstrated financial need.
- Junius John Hayes Endowed Scholarship. Two Junius John Hayes Endowed Scholarships will be awarded to undergraduate students in the Department of Mathematics who have demonstrated scholastic achievement in the field of Mathematics.
- Thomas Andrew Hurd Mathematics Scholarship. Awarded to an undergraduate student working towards a degree in Mathematics who has demonstrated scholastic ability and financial need.
- Mathematics Department Scholarship. Provides one or more award to outstanding undergraduate students in the Department of Mathematics.
- D. Keith Reed Memorial Scholarship. Awarded to an outstanding sophomore, junior, or senior student in the Department of Mathematics.
- Calvin H. Wilcox Memorial Scholarship. Benefits an outstanding undergraduate student in the Department of Mathematics.
- Saxton Scholarship. Two scholarships will be awarded to outstanding students in the Department of Mathematics.
All students who would like to be considered for need-based scholarships MUST complete the FAFSA.
Current University of Utah students must provide a signed Permission to Release Waiver to each academic or research professor asked to write a letter of recommendation. High school students are NOT required to provide a permission to release waiver unless requesting a letter from a University professor.
NOTE to incoming freshmen:
You must be admitted to the University of Utah to apply for Mathematics Department scholarships. Before you can apply for scholarships you must create your Campus Information Services (CIS) account using the University ID (uNID) and password included in your admissions letter. once you have created your CIS account you must activate your University email account (UMail) using your uNID and your new password. When both accounts are activated you may apply for Mathematics Department scholarships.
If you have not applied for admissions or received your admissions letter to the University of Utah, please contact the Office of Admissions.
If you have any questions, please email the Undergraduate Mathematics Advisors.
Other relevant awards not administered by the math department (check with the administering department for further details):