The Department of Mathematics at the University of Utah is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. These matters are handled by the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, that started operating in the Fall 2020. Our mission is:
- To educate faculty/staff/students on diversity and equity issues. The role of the committee is not to police the department, but to provide everyone tools and trainings necessary to intervene in situations that are clearly sexist, racist or denigrating.
- To be a place for people to bring concerns, to empower people to speak up and to work on facilitating positive, professional relationships within the department and improving inclusivity and respectfulness in social interactions.
- To encourage best practices in all hiring and recruiting committees in coordination with similar efforts at the college and university level. The role of the committee is not to develop new department policies. To develop plans to increase the recruitment and retention of minority students (including Math majors/minors and graduate students), postdocs, faculty and staff and to implement the APLU (Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities) guidelines.
- To encourage fair and inclusive teaching practice that addresses the specific needs of our undergraduate population (including Math and Math Ed majors/minors).
- To develop a list of goals and priorities relevant to the department, including sources of external/internal funding and to serve as liaison between national/university wide initiatives and department initiatives. To present in an open meeting and to publish an end-of-year report to the department at large highlighting initiatives and to keep track of statistics (recruitment, retention, offers, etc.).
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
- Christel Hohenegger, Associate Professor (Chair)
- Fernando Guevara Vasquez, Associate Professor (Hiring Committee Representative)
- Priyam Patel, Assistant Professor (Graduate Recruitment Representative)
- Firas Rassoul-Agha, Professor (Instructorship Committee Representative)
- Amanda Cangelosi, Instructor (Lecturer)
- TBA, (Staff)
- Gilbert Moss, Assistant Professor/Lecturer
- Rebecca Hardenbrook, Graduate Student
- Allechar Serrano López, Graduate Student
- TBA, (Undergraduate Student)
CONTACT US: email@example.com