These are some of the comments I got from my students. They are arranged from the latest classes to the older ones.
There are lots and they have their own page. Follow the link on the left.
- The lectures are interesting. The instructor is very enthusiastic. I like the lectures a lot.
- Math 419 is the most interesting math course I have ever had. The professor is so energetic and enthusiatic. The only thing that is not so perfect is the grading standard is a little bit too high.
- Q: If a friend planned to take a course from this instructor, what would you tell them?
- You need to spend more time than expected while maybe also learn more than expected.
- Take it if you enjoy math! Classes are fun, but be prepared for tough exams.
- I would tell them that you would learn alot ans she is very helpful, but that the concepts can be confusing and that her tests require you to think quick and work fast. She is overall a good teacher but challenging.
- This was one of the most interesting classes that I've taken. I
would gladly take it again, and recommend it to others.
- I think you did an amazing job teaching this course! I really
enjoyed it because not only did you teach, but you let your
personality shine through and make it more enjoyable for me.
- I really enjoyed taking this class. Emina made it interesting and fun to attend. She presented material very clearly and made it easy for students to comprehend. She was very concerned that we learn the material, she was helpful and encouraging.
- Emina was excellent. When I fell behind in
the class, she worked hard with me to help me understand.
- Emina's extremely nice, accessible, and fun. She clearly knows
what's going on, but lectures were pretty fast.
- Overall, an excellent instructor. Keep this one!
- The instructor of this course was good, I learned a great deal in
this class. Emina explained things in terms for us to understand. I
enjoyed the class atmosphere.
- I enjoyed taking this class with Emina. I usually do not like
math, but Emina's enthusiasm for the subject and her desire to help us
learn and understand made it an enjoyable course.
- I feel that she was a good instructor who really cared if we succeeded.
- Emina gets the "My favorite Teacher award" for the following
1- She is very clear and thorough when explaining new ideas.
2- She knows everyone's name!
3- She is creative on her approaches to teaching, and her level of enthusiasm keeps me awake and interested.
4- She loves what she does.
5- She made it so I enjoy Calculus!
- Emina is very enthusiastic. She truly wants us to take an active
role in our education. She explains the material very well, has a
great sense of humor, and uses many good examples which all help me
enjoy the class, and learn the material well.
- I believe that in today's technologically driven world, as a
student, I would be better served if technology was used in the class
room, even if it was just a calculator.
... In previous math
classes, we have been allowed, encouraged, and sometimes even required
to use a calculator, and I believe, if properly integrated, enhances a
student's mathrmatical understanding, especially in areas such as
visualizing graphs of functions, etc.
This is just a small request, but I wish the teacher could write down the section number on the board to which the notes and examples pertain. It would make it more clear as to which section in the book we are working on.
The teacher always asks for questions, which I appreciate. The only problem for me, and most likely many other students, is that the teacher writes so fast that we are always trying to just catch up to where she is on the notes. Thus, when she pauses momentarily between examples and asks for questions, most of us are still trying to process the information on the board and figure out how to formulate questions. If just a bit more time could be used in presenting examples - just a little slower- although not quite as many examples could be covered each day, but the absorbtion rate would increase, and thereby facilitate more questions to be asked by the students.
The same student:
- A few weeks ago, just prior to the last test, I sent you an
evaluation form. I gave you some suggestions on how I thought our
class could be improved. I just wanted to send another evaluation and
tell you THANKS. I can see you really care about our learning and
desire to help us. I appreciate the serious and timely consideration
you gave to each of my suggestions. I have noticed that you have
slowed your pace a little, allowing more time to digest the info and
formulate questions, you always write the section number of the
section being covered on the board, a small thing, but I still
appreciate it. Also, you allowed us to use calculators on the last
test. In retrospect, considering what you said about calculators last
test day, I don't know if we weren't better off not using calculators.
A part of me believes we ought to utilize technology, while another
part agrees that often a calculator acts as a crutch or a distraction,
rather than a tool.
I think you are a great teacher. I appreciate the energy and effort you put into teaching.
- Very friendly and easy to approach. Encourages class participation.
- Creating problems that mimic real, everyday life, is a definite
strength... Your energy is a definite plus, I find myself looking
forward to the class. This is the only math class I have taken (in
recent history), that I understood, and gained confidence in my math
skills by being able to complete the homework with little trouble.
- I'll give you an "A" on your evaluation for remembering your
students. Many of my instructors don't even know our names when we
finish the semester. I'm very impressed that you actually care about
our names, our grades/performance in your course and you even remember
what our hand writing is like. I am impressed.
- She has a real passion for teaching and helping understand mathematics.
- Definitely the most available instructor I have encountered.
She is always willing to spend time to explain a concept no matter how
simple or complex. I especially like the way that she deals with
questions that are "beneath" our class level, she doesn't huff and
puff and make a stink like some other teachers that I have
encountered. She just demonstrates as best she can.
- (Mostly answers the questions from the evaluation form. I believe
the actual questions can be deduced from the answers, hence I did not
list them here.) Class time is used very well. Sometimes you are
moving quite rapidly but that is understandable w/the 6 week
course... I feel comfortable asking questions, as I have already. I
appreciate the extra study session given for the mid-term...I would
reccomend this instructor. There is a positive atmosphere in the
classroom which is hard to keep in a two hour period. And I really
like being able to see my grade on the web the same day I take the
quiz and being able to compare my scores to the class average and
other class members. Great idea!
(A note: the grades were only listed with the code names.)
- I have been extremely happy with the instruction in this class.
Emina is a very effective instructor. She clearly explains the
concepts and provides meaningful and thorough examples. She comes to
class well prepared and organized. In the past, my math instructors
were less than average, however, Emina was well above average. Great
job! ... Since this class was a condensed class, the pace was quick,
however I never feld bogged down with too much information... I
personally don't find math inspirational, however, the examples,
enthusiasm, and preparation on Emina's part were fantastic...
- My reason for writing is that I went to my Math 1100 class tonight planning on you being the instructor and to my surprise, you weren't... I still wish that you were teaching it! Although you are a rather difficult teacher, I really learned a lot, you are a great teacher.