Current Articles and Issues in Mathematics Education
The sites listed here have been organized into two categories. The first category is General Issues which are sites offering articles and discussions on a comprehensive list of topics in Mathematics Education. The second category is Specific Issues which include articles or sites related to a particular issue in Mathematics Education such as the International Comparisons in Mathematics Education or Reforms in Undergraduate Mathematics Education. Whenever possible links related to both sides of a controversial issue have been provided. Some of the articles listed under Specific Issues are PDF files that can be saved to your hard disk. Then using the free application which can be downloaded,
Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can open the PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Comparisons in Mathematics and Science Education
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) Mathematics 2003 Major Results 4th and 8th grade results since 1990.
- Third International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) is a comparison of Mathematics and Science Education across countries. The study presents results on student acheivement, curriculum coverage, classroom experience, as well as teacher and student educational experience.
- TIMSS United States This site
sponsored by the National Research Center at Michigan State
University, College of Education and the National Science foundation
provides links to data and publications of the results of the Third
International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) in the United States.
- A Study of Three Cultures: Japan, Germany, and the United States (1998), An Overview of the TIMSS Case Study Project
by Harold W. Stevenson, University of Michigan
- Review of Liping Ma's book, Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics: Teachers' Understanding of Fundamental Mathematics in China and the United States (1999), by Roger Howe, Yale University
Reforms in Mathematics Education, K-12; The NCTM Standards
- NCTM's Principles and Standards for School Mathematics (Electronic overview)
- Teaching Mathematics Requires Special Set of Skills (2004) Article from Education Week and Teacher Magazine by Debra Viadero
- Mathematically Sane Site A Source of several interesting articles addressing conflicting viewpoints on current reforms in mathematics education
- The Math Wars: California Battles It Out Over Math Education Reform- Part I (6/1997) by Allyn Jackson, senior writer and editor of the AMS Notices
- The Math Wars: California Battles It Out Over Math Education Reform-Part II(7/1997) by Allyn Jackson, senior writer and editor of the AMS Notices
- Refocusing U.S. Math and Science Education, by Gilbert A. Valverde and William H. Schmidt, U,S, National Research Center for the Third International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) at Michigan State University
- The Mathematical Miseducation Of America's Youth (1999), by Michael T. Battista, Kent State University
- (1996-1997) Views on High School Mathematics Education, provides the responses of mathematicians, mathematics educators and teachers of mathematics, to a set of questions on secondary education in mathematics.
Reforms in Undergraduate Mathematics Education
Collaborations in Mathematics between K-12 and University Faculty
College of Science
Department of Mathematics
University of Utah
155 South 1400 East, JWB 233
Salt Lake City, Utah
Tel: 801 581 6851, Fax: 801 581 4148