The Department of Mathematics at the University of Utah is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. These matters are handled by the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, that started operating in the Fall 2020. Our mission is:
- To educate faculty/staff/students on diversity and equity issues. The role of the committee is to provide everyone with tools and training.
- To be a place for people to bring concerns, to empower people to speak up and to work on improving relationships and social interactions in the department.
- To encourage best practices in all hiring and recruiting committees in coordination with similar efforts at the college and university level. The role of the committee is not to develop new department policies.
- To develop plans to increase the recruitment and retention of minority students (including Math majors/minors and graduate students), postdocs, faculty, and staff.
- To encourage fair and inclusive teaching practice that addresses the specific needs of our undergraduate and graduate population (including Math and Math Ed majors/minors, Master students, Ph.D. students).
- To keep track of statistics (recruitment, retention, offers, etc.).
The Workshop for Inclusive Teaching Practices (WITP) is aimed at
1. increasing familiarity with inclusive teaching practices,
2. building an active community of equity minded math educators in Utah, and
3. empowering participants to implement inclusive teaching practices in their classrooms.
The workshop is scheduled for April 23rd, 2022, at the end of the Spring ‘22 semester as instructors are reflecting on their spring teaching and preparing for summer session classes. Summer classes are an ideal time for instructors to implement new inclusive practices because class sizes are smaller, timing is condensed, and the student population contains many non-traditional students and students who are retaking courses. The hope is that the implementation of equity focused practices and philosophy will improve students’ experience and outcomes in their mathematics classes.
The WITP at the U is modeled after similar workshops that took place at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill in 2019 and 2020 (see that workshop's website for more information).
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
- Anne Fayolle, Graduate Student
- Angie Gardiner, Undergraduate Program Manager
- Dalyana Guerra, Instructor (Lecturer)
- Christel Hohenegger, Associate Professor (Chair)
- Cormac Laprete, Graduate Student
- Akil Narayan, Associate Professor
- Rebecca Noonan Heale, Associate Professor (Lecturer)
- Firas Rassoul-Agha, Professor (Spring 2024)
- Anurag Singh, Professor (Fall 2023)
- USAC Representative, TBD
CONTACT US: firstname.lastname@example.org